Portuguese Church, Calcutta (Kolkata)
Portuguese Church (1799)
~ Catholics Cathedral of Calcutta (Kolkata) ~
Also see my compilation of Calcutta (Kolkata) Churches
Historical evidences indicate that the Portuguese arrived in Calcutta (Kolkata) much before Job Charnok, but their relationship with the English has never been friendly.
The first Portuguese place of worship in Calcutta (Kolkata) date backs to the late 17 th century, consisted of a mud hut. In 1700 it was converted into a brick structure.
In 1757 Lord Clive expelled the Portuguese from Calcutta (Kolkata) and the Catholic Portuguese Chapel was converted into an Anglican Protestant Chapel.
Four years later the ban was lifted and the Portuguese got back their chapel in 1796. They decided to convert the chapel into a Church and funds were raised. The well known Portuguese traders Baretto Brothers were leading contributors.
The new church, which exsists to this day, was opened to public on 27 Nov. 1799. Designed by James Driver it was constructed at a cost of Rs90,000.
Dedicated to Rosary Virgin Mary, the Portuguese Church serves as a Cathedral Church for the Catholic Christian’s of Calcutta (Kolkata).
Built in typical Catholic style the Portuguese Church comes in with twin towers which are shaped more like minarets, topped with crowned shaped cupolas. The extended portico is crowned with a triangular pediment decorated with beautiful relief work.
The inside is even more spectacular with long corridor leading to beautifully decorated alterflanked with intricately decorated circular stained glass windows.
The walls are lined with confession boxes and statues of Jesus, Mary, Joseph and various other Biblical character complete with fairies and angles.
But the star attraction of th Portuguese Church are the 14 Cross Station of Christ. The beautiful coloured bass relief tables are framed in polished wooden frame and are hung along the walls of the Portuguese Church.
Portuguese Church located on the Murgihata Street just off the Brabourne Road and Canning Street crossing. Although located in one of the busiest localities of Calcutta (Kolkata) it serves as a oasis of peace like most of the Calcutta (Kolkata) Churches.
- 10 Walks in Calcutta by Prosenjit Das Gupta
- Swasato Kolkata ~ Ingrej Amala er Sthapothya by Nishitranjan Roy