Archive

Posts Tagged ‘North Park Street Cemetery’

North Park Street Cemetery, Calcutta (Kolkata)

January 23, 2013 5 comments

North Park Street Cemetery, Calcutta (Kolkata)

~ The Lone Surviving Tomb ~

Robertson Monument, North Park Street Cemetery, Calcutta (Kolkata)

Robertson Monument, North Park Street Cemetery, Calcutta (Kolkata)

Tucked away in the South – Eastern corner of the the Assembly of God Church Tower (AG Tower) complex is a strange circular structure. Supported by six Ionic pillar and crowned with a dome. It is often used for drying clothes and even as a storage space.

The structure known as the Roberson Monument is the lone surviving grave of the demolished North Park Street Cemetery.

The Mallick Bazar entrance of the Mother Teresa Sarani (formally Park Street and even formally Burial Ground Street) once housed cemeteries on its both side.

Today the cemetery only on the southern side exists and is called the South Park Street Cemetery, but the cemeteries on the north side have been demolished decades ago to give room to the expanding city.

The North Park Street Cemetery gave room to the AG Towers while the Apeejay School was built over the French Cemetery.

Opened in 1797 the huge North Park Street Cemetery once housed the graves of several well known British citizens of Calcutta, including Richmond Thackeray, the farther of novelist William Makepeace Thackeray.

Read more…