14 Stations of the Cross, a compilation
14 Stations of the Cross
A compilation from different churches
The 14 Stations of the Cross of Christ is a series of artistic representations, very often sculptural, depicting Christ Carrying the Cross to his crucifixion in the final hours of Jesus before he died, and the devotions using that series to commemorate the Passion, often moving physically around a set of stations. The vast majority of Roman Catholic churches now contain such a series, typically placed at intervals along the side walls of the nave; in most churches these are small plaques with reliefs or paintings. (Source: Wikipedia).
I Jesus is condemned to death
II Jesus is laden with his cross
III Jesus falls the first time
IV Jesus meets his mother
V Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus
VI Jesus and Veronica
VII Jesus fall a second time
VIII Jesus address the women of Jerusalem
IX Jesus falls the third time
X Jesus is stripped of his garments
XI Jesus is nailed to the cross
XII Jesus dies on the cross
XIII Jesus is taken down from the cross
XIV Jesus is laid in the sepulcher
Please note that the captions of the Cross Station vary.
Dedicated to Rosary Virgin Mary, the Portuguese Church, Calcutta (Kolkata) serves as a Cathedral Church for the Catholic Christian’s of Calcutta (Kolkata).
Built in 1799 the interior of the Portuguese Church are beautifully decorated. The walls are decorated with coloured tablets depicting the 14 Cross Station of Jesus Christ.
St. Johns Berchman’s Church
Kurseong (Near Darjeeling)
Located on the St. Mary’s Hill in Kurseong the St. John Berchman’s Church marks the starting point of the religions pilgrim trek to Grotto.
The original structure of the St. John Berchman’s Church dates back to the late 19th century but the present structure dates back to 1988.
The walls of the St. John Berchman’s Church are decorated with wooden framed colourd tablets of the 14 Cross Stations of Christ. The captions are in Nepali.
The visit to the St. John Brechman’s Church, Kursuong was part of a FAM (Familiarization) tour of Cochrane Place, Kursuong.
- This is a compilation article and would be updated from time to time
- Kolkata (Calcutta)
- West Bengal (Excluding Kolkata)
- Andhra Pradesh (AP) & Telengana
- Jammu & Kashmir (J&K)
- Madhya Pradesh (MP)
Top Posts & Pages
- Europe along the Hooghly, Serampore, Chandannagar, Chinsurah and Bandel
- Ramzan (Ramadan) Food Street, Zakaria Street, Kolkata
- Chinese Breakfast, Old Chinatown (Tiretta Bazar), Calcutta (Kolkata)
- Buddhist Temples of Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Bawali Rajbari, Budge Budge, 24 Pargans (South)
- In the footsteps of Wajid Ali Shah, Walking tour of Metiabruz
- Hoppipola, Acropolis Mall (4th Floor), Kolkata
- Bandel ~ Church and Imambara
- Calcutta (Kolkata) Churches
- Vizag - Araku Train
- 688,244 people accidentally bumped into my blog